Tuesday, March 29, 2011

The Royals won something

Everyone to the fountains on the Plaza, the Royals have taken the division crown! Yes, it's the Cactus League title, but it is something. I'm speechless, there are tears in my eyes and I always knew this day would come!

The PBR is going to go out on a limb here by saying that the Royals won't suck this year. Instead of reiterating the the slogan of 2011 is a transition year, the prospects are coming and the future is getting closer, I'm going to say that March 29, 2011 has marked a new day in Royals history. On Thursday the season will begin and I have hope, not your typical we just signed Jose Guillen hope, but real verifiable hope. I'm not going to analyze this thing to death, but what I feel is real and this caps a wave of things going the Royals way. First everyone calls our prospects the bestiest ever, then we only do minimally damaging/almost positive things during the offseason and this week was just too much; Mike Sweeney retired as a Royal (zero sarcasm) and we won the division crown. I never liked Sweeney, but someone actually admitted in front of the whole world that they liked being a Royal and want that sentiment to be immortalized. Thanks Mike, you are officially absolved of all previous PBR criticism and through your perseverance have made it to our good side.

Maybe its just the giddiness I feel for the start of a new baseball season, and I'm sure that there will be an unending amount of things to make fun of during the regular season, but this is one article that is Hallmark approved pure family fun. A flurry of moves ending spring training has given us a bullpen that is almost devoid of oldish-not-quite-washed-up relievers (typical Royals), a line-up that for the first time in years I actually approve of and leaves me with no justifiable managerial complaints.

This will all change throughout the year, and I may regret writing this when I wake-up in the morning, but why not enjoy being a Royals fan for the briefest of moments?

No comments:

Post a Comment