Tuesday, December 1, 2009

I just WAR-ed myself!!!

Seriously when I saw this I BABIP-ed down my leg, I choked on my own wOBA and I was laughing so hard that I had RAR coming out of my nose...

Royals fans and fans of FanGraph (and advanced statistics) I bring this to your attention; Kyle Farsworth had a decent year, nothing special but about what was expected of him, this according to FanGraphs! Anyone who watched the Royals this year should be shocked by this mathmatically unbiased conclusion drawn from complex formulas and such. These guys hate saves and holds so much that they have to live with the folllowing conclusion: Kyle Farnsworth had a better year than Carlos Marmol.

Marmol: SV-15; HLD-27; IP-74.0; ERA-3.41; BAA-.170
Farny: SV-0; HLD-5; IP-37.1; ERA-4.58; BAA-.287

These are the UN-advanced numbers of the two which tell you that Marmol is infinitely better, however through some myriad of advanced statistic gathering this is what FanGraphs says:


Marmol: RAR-5.5; WAR-0.6; Dollars-$2.6 Mil
Farny: RAR-6.8; WAR-0.7; Dollars-$3.0 Mil

RAR (Runs Above Replacement); WAR(Wins Above Replacement); Dollars (actual value)

Are you +WPA-ing serious you have to be out of your REW-ing mind!

Just thought I would bring it up since it seems to be one of those curious instances where advanced stats miss something (or maybe we all missed something while watching Farny, good year big guy looking forward to having you back in 2010???)

No comments:

Post a Comment