Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Who are we?

After yet another Grienke hiccup, the end of the Yost bullpen string of luck and a nagging feeling that things will always be the same, the Royals and their Fans find themselves in period of deep soul-searching...

How much longer will I dawn the powder-blue uniform?

Jose Guillen is basically swinging the bat as hard as possible to get off the team; he knows, the fans know and management knows that if any team were willing to give up slightly more than an autographed team photo for his services then that team could have Jose. He can't want to be here any more than we want him here and I'm willing to bet that for about 1/12th of his salary management would pull the trigger regardless of whether or not they were returned more than a supplemental pick in next year's bat-boy draft.

Pods, DDJ & Ankiel; AKA, the starting outfield. They're all probably on the block barring the most amazing comeback in MLB history. However, it is hard to imagine more than luke-warm interest unless the Royals employ snipers to start picking-off the starting outfields of all the contending teams.

Pitchers not named Hochevar & Grienke: You never know, its about the time of year when teams start the annual I-need-a-pitcher-dread and with fair value just about anyone would be there for the taking.

Where will I be in 5 years?

Zach Grienke? Still in KC going 10-10, but making Joe Mauer prodigal son money? On the big stage in one of the coasts, stopping by the Midwest only to pick-up a win against mediocre competition? Winning the Daytona 500 because I quit baseball again.

Billy Butler, I will always be able to hit .290, thus someone will pay me. But will I ever hit 30 hrs? If yes, then I'm valuable to KC and they will sign me long-term, if not, then I will never quite be the big bat the team needs but they will still probably sign me long term. I'm just never going to be Ryan Howard, am I?

Chris Getz, it has been a roller coaster of emotions this year; first I was traded for Mark Teahen, ouch! Then I'm the new starting 2B on another team and the jewel of the owner's eye, next I get hurt only to come back and displace a .300 hitter along with a former all-world prospect. Then this Mike Aviles guy comes along and won't stop hitting the ball really hard. Now I have to wait for a Cuban defector to fuck-up and move Aviles out of my position. I'm not worried though because I hustle, bunt well, run fast and dog-gone-it coaches LOVE ME!

Alex Gordon, in the minors on my 50th rehab assignment going for a Crash Davis-like homerun record? All-star LF for the Royals? Hitting 30hrs/year for Boston while KC fans storm Dayton Moore's office for trading me for Chris Getz part II?

Jason Kendall, Bear Wrestling, Ultimate Fighting competitions? STILL catching 130 games/year? Ned Yost's bench coach, Dayton Moore's Director of Player Philosophy? I guess as long as I'm not on your team you don't care, do you?

Why am I a Royals Fan?

Why you shouldn't be is a much easier question to answer but we will be rewarded for our patience or something like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment