Thursday, June 16, 2011

I'm bored

Watching the Royals play the A's was just ridiculously painfully boring and reminded me that this is a very long season which will probably not be any kinder to the Royals going forward. During the first game the Royals more or less took care of business, considering they were playing a team that had just reached a new low, but then came the last two games in which the Royals showcased all of their flaws. Even when Luke Hochevar actually puts together a good start the Royals bats take a night off because they can't hit a lefty who throws strikes. Then our BEST pitcher, you know the one with a sparkling 4.40 ERA going in to today's game, gets tapped around by one of the worst offensive teams in the league. What happened to that early season hope? I mean seriously, the Pittsburgh Pirates are two games over .500!

Who's the first to go?

I'm already looking forward to the annual trade season to heat up so that there is something to be interested in while watching this team play sub .500 ball. Basically, it seems that the Royals should have some players that draw Scott Posednik-like interest at the deadline, but fall well short of Cliff Lee-like bidding wars. We all know Wilson Betemit should be gone as soon as they Royals get any kind of offer, this was made blatantly obvious with the call-up of Moose and subsequently turned Wilson the asset into Wilson the take-what-you-can-get after thought. Mike Aviles might even be available and, in my opinion, more valuable that Wilson, but his value also might be dead now that he's returned to Omaha. The two players most likely to draw trade chatter amongst fans, other teams and player flipper Dayton Moore would seem to be Melky and Frenchy. Both are having Somewhat respectable seasons and Melky is still under contract for another year, while Frenchy has that patented leadership strategy down to a science. I didn't do my homework, so I don't have any idea of what teams might need an above average corner outfielder but there has to be at least a couple, there always are (see Posednik and Guillen from last season). Even though I don't think Dayton would, or maybe precisely because he wouldn't, my opinion is that pawning off Frenchy, moving Melky to right and calling up Lorenzo Cain makes the most sense. Currently they have almost identical stats and while Melky has done it with pretty consistent production all year, Frenchy has done it with one big month followed by 6 weeks of nothing. In addition, I think it would be perfect to pencil in Melky as your starting right fielder next year and I don't think it makes sense to try and negotiate any kind of deal with Frenchy based on intangible leadership qualities a great throwing arm and one good month. But in the end these are all splitting hairs, what I really think the Royals should be doing is trying to be buyers at the deadline and make a big move that nets them a real starting pitcher that they will be able to pencil in next year's rotation. If not, my guess is that we'll be having this same conversation next year. Oh and if any team out there would give you anything in return for the services of Bruce Chen or Jeff Francis, you should take the check to the bank before the ink is dry.

That's it for now

I could continue on and on about how the Royals starting rotation is still pathetic, but I won't, even the Royals know that. I could try to predict who the next call-up will be, but the two big ones are here and team is still the same, so we should just wait and hope that Duffy figures it out. I could tell you how much I hate some of the moves Ned Yost is making, but there are too many. I could tell you that I'm really excited about seeing Moose and Hosmer at the corners for the next five years, but the thrill just isn't there yet. I could elaborate on how much the Royals could use Mike Aviles going into the National League parks, but it probably wouldn't make a difference in the end. I could attempt to preview the big I-70 series, but if the Cards don't take two-of-three from the Royals I'll be shocked and it will be most likely due to something flukey. So let's just dig in and wait for that big Wilson Betemit for cash and a player to be named later trade because I can't think of much else to look forward to.

No comments:

Post a Comment